Sir Thrift-A-Lot ♥


Saturday, April 27, 2013

Thriftasaurus

Thriftasaurus


Spring has finally hit Toronto! I hit up a church sale this past Friday, it's the only one I go to regularly & I guess it's known as a pretty decent one in the city, as I was speaking to someone in line. Afterwards, I hit up a bunch of thrift stores & I did pretty good.

So, I got up for this church sale at 8AM. I got there for 9AM.. no one in line. I was like WTF? So I went to a thrift store. I got back there, no one in line. I was like WTF? Especially since it opened in 20 mins. Then a guy lined up at the door, a lady came out & told him it was around the corner... I confirmed as he walked by me. We talked as the 100ish people infront of us waited to get in. He pointed out some dealers who were there. I noted them. We just spoke about random things & I let it slip that I collect mugs - I try not to let it slip in places about what I collect or buy as people who are there to buy to resell who may not know it's collectible may start to buy it up. Anyways, doors open, first place he goes to, the mugs. He had known all about Fire King mugs when I let it slip. Whatevs. That wasn't my first stop. I got to the housewares table as a woman was handing a 8x8 orange Pyrex pan to the girl behind the desk.. I reached over to see what the 404 primary Yellow looked like (scuffed & damaged), the 403 Spring Blossom (ughish).. that was it! Within 30 seconds, one of those dealers had it in his hands. All I could think was.. "if he can peddle that shit at the antique market every Sunday, 50% of the stuff I leave at the shops I could sell.." I was surprised! 

I bought the Butterfly Gold napkin rings at the church sale for 50cents with the intention of including them in a giveaway on my blog in the near future. The Yankees MLB pin from 1988 was 50cents & this DC lanyard was also 50 cents. & I knew my pop culture collection was missing something, so this Popeye had to come home with me. The owl is a handpainted coin bank, made in Japan. Back in the back is a 25cent church sale sugar bowl (?) & also a 474 Pyrex lid!




I picked up a pack of cards (which only included the Annie & Holly Hobbie) at the church sale for $1. The self proclaimed "pay master" was a little old lady sitting on a chair, she told me how she packaged them up for the sale to donate since she no longer writes letters. I told her they're great cards, thanked her for donating them & that they're going to a great home. She invited me back to the Autumn sale & told me she'll have more cards. 


Drink anyone? I've eyed these poodle glasses at an antique market, but yea, I'd never pay antique market prices for them. A couple weeks ago I found a Batman glass, paid $2.99 (shhhh!) & I bought 8 in total this week (only 3 patterns), $4.99 for 4. I've already got 2 of each Cheap Wine carafe, but you never know when 2 will break & you'll never find another.. 





A 503 Butterprint fridgie found at the thrift 2 weeks ago & this vibrant, shiny red found this week. 


Strawberry Shortcake! This towel was never used - still has the manufacturer hanger on in.


Some very petite deer & a very retro kitchen set!



Well, that's it! Hope you all found some killer stuff this week. I'll be jealous if you found some amazing Pyrex!
gonna link up with a living space.

  

34 comments:

  1. You found some great finds this week, a great mix. Thanks for hosting.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've been finding vintage glasses, never used, in great condition lately. Bright colors, lots of gold design and trim with oranges, some red and black scotties.

    Thanks for hosting, love joining in.

    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky! I was supposed to stop bringing them home about 55 glasses ago.

      Delete
  3. I am glad your "winter" is over and you can find great stuff again. I have yet to find a good church sale. Love Popeye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butterfly gold napkin rings?! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All I found was DWD friendship and some Forest Fancies. Thank gosh I like Forest Fancies!

    And love the napkin rings, I have Spring Blossom and Snowflake Blue. They are very delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's an impressive haul! I love the Strawberry Shortcake goods. And those "cheap wine" carafes are so cheesy---that they're awesome.
    Today I'm sharing with you a recent haul of cheap LPs in mint condition. Got to love a good thrift haul.

    <3 Jackie @ Let's Go Thrifting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie! I left a SS jar before & I hate myself for it.

      Delete
  7. So jealous of those Holly Hobbie cards! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love, love, love the poodle and batman glasses. I am looking forward to the start of rummage sale season in Wisconsin and those delightful church rummage sales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you find some great stuff! Can't wait to see it on your blog.

      Delete
  9. I'm envious of those poodle glasses! And of course the Butterprint Pyrex. You must have an amazing collection!

    -Melissa @ Scavenger Hunt

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try and keep a really low profile when I am at a sale that the dealers are also at. There is one lady who watches me like a hawk and picks up everything that I put down. She also goes for any piece of Pyrex, no matter the pattern. She isn't a dealer though. She is just a collector like me. The good news is that I am about 30 years younger and much faster than she is so I get to the goods first. I'm awful, I know. But she is really mean and rude to me so I just kill her with kindness.

    I really think you should stop torturing Hanna with all the cute little deer friends you find! HA HA:-)

    Have a great Sunday,

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - you're nemesis. I have heard about her before. I don't like her very much..

      She tortures me, too, so I think it's fair. ;)

      Delete
  11. Ive never been to a sale like that. But you did find good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's been forever since I've perused the Thrifty blogs. I loved all your items and your story about the church sale was great. It makes me excited for Garage Sale season to get here in Calgary!!

    Thanks for hosting. I linked up. I'm a little out of the loop so do you know any other blogs that have thrifty link parties I can check out?

    Thanks again. Happy Spring!
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love those poodle glasses! you really racked up this week! i haven't been letting myself go out much and i'm really missing it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get back out there! I love drooling over the stuff you bring back from estate sales.

      Delete
  14. The kitchen set is my favourite! So cute!!

    I was at a church sale this weekend too, did you see what treasure I found??

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice finds! Church sales are always fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can never seem to find church sales around here. Glad you hit a good one! I love the retro kitchen set and the deer! They look cute together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. those little deer are so darling! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love joining in, thanks for hosting. You found some great stuff this week.
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  19. So much groovy goodness, I LOOOOVE the batman cups especially, but also everything else :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the retro kitchen set. So fun! Thanks for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you made a buddy at the church sale! Thanks for hosting, I can't wait to see what every scored this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDK about that... could end up being a future nemesis.. haha.

      Delete
  22. Wow, that flowered kitchen set is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  23. EEEK that Butterprint fridgie and those deer. The two things I collect and you found them at a thrift store! COLOUR ME JEALOUS
    -TorontoGal

    ReplyDelete
  24. EEEK that Butterprint fridgie and those deer. The two things I collect and you found them at a thrift store! COLOUR ME JEALOUS
    -TorontoGal

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow you really know what to look for, lots of times I see stuff and just wonder if it is actually worth anything. I'd love it if you'd jump over and link up at my "Go Get Your Garage Sale On" Linky Party, and share some of your great finds! http://www.brightgreendoor.com/2013/05/go-get-your-garage-sale-on-with.html

    ReplyDelete