Sir Thrift-A-Lot ♥


Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Those '80s Plates!

How absolutely '80s are these?





Picked up these two rockin' "Fireball" plates by "Roy Midwinter" from Goodwill the other day. Even without hearing the year of make, you'll be able to tell that these plates were made right in the middle of the '80s. These were in fact made in 1985, discontinued in 1986 manufactured by Federated Potteries, Staffordshire, England. A Google search provides a few more images of other items in the "Fireball" collection. I only have two plates at this time & unfortunately they have a large amount of crazing, which does give them a lot character, they will make excellent sandwich, cheese or cracker holders if I ever choose to hold a get together.

I paid $2.02 each. I saw them on Monday, decided if they were there on Tuesday that I would buy them.

10 comments:

  1. They would be perfect as sushi plates or something. Reminds of a piece of salmon sashimi with chopsticks resting on the plate!

    Just a note, I read somewhere that crazed ceramics aren't hygenic to eat off of because the bacteria and stuff can't be properly washed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are very rock and roll - love it! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE these! They're so rad... you find so much great 80s stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SixBalloons - I'm gonna look into that. Maybe if I use them, I'll put some saran wrap down so you can still use the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flo, to be totally honest, for some reason I thought of you when I saw them, LOL.

    & thanks Scarlett!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sir, That's so funny! I keep popping back over to your blog to look at them. I'm going to keep my eye open for some of these, or at least something similar. (If I do bring something like these home, I KNOW my boyfriend would insist they be featured in hot or not - he doesn't love the 80s like we do).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plates are fantastic. I'd use them ....without Saran wrap.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found 2 in excellent condition!Alex

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought a set of these in England back in the 80's. I have 4 bowls, 4 plates, 4 cups and saucers. The cups are red, and the saucer just has the black lines. I love them, but one bowl has crazed over time, and one I had to glue back together when it broke.

    ReplyDelete